Monday, October 15, 2012

Retailing

If you ask most people regardless of where in the world to name fast food restaurants I can almost guarantee that McDonald's will be in the first three that call. That is because McDonald's has 33,000 different locations spread out across the world that spans across 119 countries. Franchising plays a big role in McDonald's growth and success. Almost eighty percent of McDonald's stores are owned by independent people. That means the big boys at top don't really do much work but sit back and watch the money come in as random people all over the world do all the work. Must be hard work too,seeing that McDonald's is at the top of it's industry and one of the biggest franchises in the world.

However they are not that lazy. The success of a franchise also depends on the amount of support it gets from the parent company. In this particular area McDonald's is second to none.  Owner/operators of McDonald's franchises receive their initial training and support during the first year, and then ongoing support throughout their ownership with newsletters, cooperative purchasing, 24-hour telephone support, and field operations.



I recently visited a McDonald's location at 57 Empire Boulevard in Brooklyn. I've been there before and it is generally a good place to go, sometimes. But if I was to judge the store off that one experience,  I probably would never go back. It was super packed and they had the audacity to only have two registers open. I mean your billions of dollars rich and you can't afford to have another worker on the pay roll. The line was moving so slow.


The worst part was that when i finally got to the register that's when they wanted to start rushing, I didn't even get my exact order because the lady at the counter was very intimidating. Their lucky I know that it is usually not that crazy otherwise I would not be going back.



No comments:

Post a Comment